The WordPress Menu system is both easy to use and easy to mess up. The examples shown below reference a “main menu” and a “mobile menu”. Those menu location names may vary depending on the theme you are using. Your WordPress website may have more menus, fewer menus or menus with different names than those shown here. Even so, the basics of adding menu items and sub-menus are the same for all WordPress themes.
IMPORTANT: You need to be careful when modifying the menus – if you follow the steps, you’ll be fine, but it’s easy to mess up the site navigation if you don’t do every step. AIM clients should feel free to contact support at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to do the menu change for you. Just give us the specifics and we’ll take care of it.
TO ADD A PAGE TO THE MENU
Go to Admin > Appearance > Menus
- At the top of the screen is a drop-down “Select a menu to edit:”. Choose Main Menu (Main Menu) from the drop-down and click the Select button. This will load the Main Menu in the Menu structure window on the screen.
- On the left column expand the Pages panel if it isn’t showing (click the down arrow next to the name). A list of pages appears displaying the Most Recent pages. The page you want to add may appear here. If not, click on the Search link and type in the name and it will appear. When you find the name of the page you want to add, click the checkbox next to the name and click the “Add to Menu” button. The new page gets added at the very bottom of the menu structure.
- Refer to the images above – Notice how some of the items in the Menu structure are indented – the items all the way to the left, like Home or Shop are top-level menu items. When you look at the navbar on the site, these are the items that display. Indented items , like Mystery Box or Seasonal Items, become sub-menu items.
- To move your new page to the proper location in the menu, scroll to the bottom of the Menu structure, and click on the new item and drag it up to where you want it to be – you may have to do this in stage, since it’s hard to click and drag the full height of the Menu structure. You can drag partway, then scroll up and click and drag again until you get the new page in place (it won’t show up on the live site menu until the last
- Make sure the new page is indented properly (just drag left or right to sent the indentation) so that it is at the right level. When done, click the blue Save Menu button at the upper right of the screen.
- REPEAT FOR MOBILE MENU: At the top of the screen is a drop-down “Select a menu to edit:”. Choose Responsive Menu (Mobile Menu) from the drop-down and click the Select button. This will load the Main Menu in the Menu structure window on the screen.
- Locate the new page (just like in step 2 above), and “Add to Menu” – it will be placed at the bottom of the Menu structure like above. Drag and drop as in step 2b. Make sure the new page is indented properly (just drag left or right to sent the indentation) so that it is at the right level. When done, click the blue Save Menu button at the upper right of the screen.