Frequently posting new, relevant blog posts with optimized content is the best way to increase your website’s visibility for visitors using organic search. WordPress makes it easy to create a blog post by adding a wide variety of content, including written text, video, images, galleries, podcasts, tables, and so forth. This tutorial covers the basics of making a WordPress blog post. You should also check out our tips for adding search optimization to your content.
Go to Admin > Posts
- To create a new post, click Add New
- Enter the title of the post in the Add title field
- Click where it says ‘Start writing or type / to choose a block. You can either start typing or paste in your pre-written copy.
- On the right panel, location Categories and check the boxes for the Categories you want to assign the post to. Check the News category to have the post appear on the Home Page.
- TO ADD A FEATURED IMAGE (this appears above the post on the home page and on the single post page). On the right panel, locate Featured Image. Click on the “Set featured image” button, which opens a new window. Either upload a new image or select an existing image from the Media Library, then click the blue “Select” button at the bottom right of the window to save your selection.
- Go to the Publish panel and click the blue Publish button. You’re done!
You can set a post to publish at a future date, if desired. Before step 6 above, go to the Status & Visibility and click on the ‘Immediately’ link next to Publish: and set the date/time you want the post to be published.
If you want to create a post, but not publish it, click on the “Save draft” link to the left of the blue Publish button. This will save your work but the post will not display on the website until you click on the Publish button.